WHAS Crusade for Children Grants
WHAS Crusade for Children grants are made to non-profit agencies, schools and hospitals that help children with special needs up to age 18. The term "special needs" is defined as physical, mental, emotional and medical needs.
- Grants are for direct services only.
- No grants are made to individuals or families.
- Grants are made for specific programs or equipment that provide direct benefit to special needs children and are not general operating grants.
- No grants are made for administrative needs.
- Agencies serving special needs children from Kentucky and southern Indiana are eligible to receive grants. The Crusade must have financial support from a county before grants can be made to a school, hospital or agency located in that county. Consideration is given to facilities that serve children from many counties.
Application Process & Timeline
- Applications for FY 2021-22 will open on October 15, 2020 and close on January 15, 2021 at 5:00 p.m., EST.
- New Applicants: Access to online Grant Applications is by invitation only. To request an invitation, a non-profit agency, school or hospital should send a letter (on letterhead signed by the agency director or school superintendent) to the WHAS Crusade for Children at the address listed below.
- Former Grant Recipients: All agencies that received a grant this year are notified about applying for next year.
- Winter/Spring: Agencies that qualify are scheduled for a grant hearing with the Crusade Advisory Panel (listed below). Every agency requesting funds must meet with the panel to explain their grant needs and to answer questions.
- June: Final grant determinations are made after Crusade Weekend.
- July 1st (or earlier): Emails notifying agencies of grant awards sent
- Sept. 1 - Aug. 31: Grant funds are expendable.
WHAS Crusade for Children
520 W. Chestnut St.
Louisville, KY 40202
Application support material
Applicants must provide the following support materials with their grant application:
- Current IRS 990
- Current independent audit
- Current board member list
- IRS determination letter
- Current annual report
For additional questions about the WHAS Crusade for Children grant process, please call Grants Manager Janene Hickerson at (502) 582-7522 or send an email by clicking here.
Every year there are more grant applications than available funds. The WHAS Crusade for Children Advisory Panel must determine the best use of the donated funds to serve the largest number of children with special needs. The panel consists of interdenominational clergy who give many hours of their time to the grant process. Many of the clergy appear on the weekly television/radio program Moral Side of the News.
The current panel members are:
Rev. Harriett Akins-Banman
Centenary United Methodist Church
New Albany, Indiana
Dr. Charles Burton
Second Baptist Church
Rev. Clay Calloway
West Louisville Ministers Coalition
Rev. Jason Crosby
Crescent Hill Baptist Church
Dr. Greg Earwood
Retired - Baptist Seminary of Kentucky
Fr. Joe Graffis, Chair
Archdiocese of Louisville
Rev. Sally McClain
Retired - Edenside Christian Church
Rabbi Emeritus Stanley Miles
Retired - Temple Shalom
Rabbi Gaylia Rooks
Rev. Daniel Corrie Shull
Burnett Avenue Baptist Church
Dr. John Wesley Slider
Breckenridge Chapel, Free Methodist
Fr. Tony Smith
Archdiocese of Louisville
Fr. John J. Stoltz
St. Aloysius Catholic Church
Pewee Valley, Kentucky
Dr. Marian Taylor
South Frankfort Presbyterian Church